About the Role
As a Senior .NET Developer at Lumachain, you will have exceptional technical skills and be a great culture fit (see below). If you are a great fit for us both technically and culturally, then Lumachain is likely to be the most rewarding and exciting environment you will ever be a part of in your professional career.
Duties and Responsibilities
Software Engineering Activities
- Actively participate in all Agile Scrum development ceremonies.
- Works as part of a team to understand, breakdown, size and implement user stories.
- Consults on designs to identify and reduce complexity wherever possible. Takes desired qualities into account from requirements (robustness, performance, re-usability, etc.).
- Follow Lumachain’s coding practices and design patterns.
- Provides constructive guidance to your peers in software development.
- Code meets required standards of quality, including efficiency, maintainability, reliability, and terseness and fitness for purpose.
- Tests programs appropriately during and after construction. Balances testing effort according to the risk of changes. Uses appropriate testing techniques. Works together with testers to ensure the application is sufficiently tested (and testable).
- Is responsive to production issues as required.
- Uses development tools effectively. We use Visual Studio Code, JIRA, Git, Azure DevOps, etc.
- Keeps the team informed of progress. Escalates issues appropriately when roadblocks are reached. Manages time efficiently and is considerate of the time of others.
- Continuously seeks to improve technical skills in the areas needed to perform work tasks effectively. Keeps abreast of new technologies and ways of doing things.
- Acquires knowledge in relevant areas of our business and our customers’ businesses.
- Consults senior colleagues in areas requiring design trade-offs and assessing risks.
- Is engaged in technical, business and “soft” aspects of the work. (e.g. pro-active behavior, participation in team discussions, care and conscientiousness in delivery of work products).
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Works well together with other developers, managers, and the rest of the business.
- Is always open to alternative ways of doing things. We are all constantly looking to improve.
In addition to the above, Senior Developers are expected to:
- Inspire the team to drive a passionate technical culture
- Handle tasks of higher complexity
- Be able to work independently
- Take more responsibility within the team
- In general, have a higher level of productivity
Required Technical Skills
- .NET 4.6 and .NET Core
- ASP.NET Web APIs
- Microsoft SQL Server
Desirable Technical Skills
- Containerisation, including Docker and Kubernetes
- Azure DevOps and Azure Resource Manager
- Microservices architecture
- Serverless architecture
Key Performance Indicators
The core KPI is colleague satisfaction as assessed by your manager and other members of the leadership team, your peers and associated project and other staff. We are open and transparent around performance, and we are constantly having conversations about what is going well and where we can do even better – both as individuals and collectively. So when you have your formal performance review, you’re unlikely to hear anything you haven’t heard before. The key areas we focus on are:
- How effectively you execute the above responsibilities (includes proactiveness, responsiveness and thoroughness)
- How effectively you interact and communicate with your colleagues (and clients if applicable)
- Proactive steps to learn the domain and further build out our solution.
Lumachain is not for everyone. We work at an intense pace. We embrace ambiguity and we love solving big challenges. We are collaborative but also ‘own’ our own work. Everyone in the business is exceptionally talented and doesn’t want – or need – to be micromanaged. We are passionate about transforming the global meat and food industries, and work with some of the world’s largest enterprise customers. We believe in putting our customers first. We do not tolerate politics: we are an absolute meritocracy. We work without ego: we take our work seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously! We focus on doing what is best for the team, our business and, above all, our customers. If someone – anyone – has a better idea or solution, we go for it. We embrace and celebrate diversity. And we all have fun along the way!
Location: We are based in Sydney, Australia, though the role could be based anywhere in the world. We may consider sponsoring exceptional candidates based overseas who would like to relocate to Australia.
Remuneration: Salary, superannuation plus attractive Options package.
- Competitive remuneration package
- Employer-contributed superannuation
- Participation in employee share option scheme (Equity)
- Four weeks annual leave
- Genuine learning and development opportunities
- Be part of an exceptional team
- Flexible work hours (we currently work from home 4 days per week, with Wednesdays in the office)
- Great work environment and facilities.
We bring transparency to food supply chains, globally. Our platform tracks individual items of food, from farm to fork, including its provenance and condition as it moves through the supply chain, with an initial focus on beef. We are also doing extensive work within food processing facilities, working with some of the largest meat, food and retail companies in the world. Lumachain’s platform incorporates world-first, patented Computer Vision, AI, as well as an enterprise-grade software platform, IoT devices and blockchain.
We are also a business with purpose and are passionate about using technology to help keep employees safe and well trained. Microsoft – which is a major supporter of ours globally – shares this commitment. Part of our focus in the area of Computer Vision is to help provide productive and safe working environments for vulnerable employees.
Lumachain’s founder and CEO is Jamila Gordon, 2020 New South Wales Entrepreneur of the Year who recently delivered a global TED talk. She was a former Group Chief Information Officer of Qantas Airways and Leighton Holdings/CIMIC, and prior to that, a senior IBM executive based in Europe, running some of IBM’s largest global ‘megadeals’. Jamila was Microsoft’s Global Awardee in the International Women’s Entrepreneurship Challenge (IWEC) in 2018 for her work on Lumachain, the first Australian to win this award.